GSoC NCI Purposed Improvements

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Tue May 25 19:50:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010, John Harrison wrote:

> My GSoC is getting underway with improvements to the NCI system. After
> reading over the current work and suggestions for the NCI system I have come
> up with the following suggestions/improvements to the current system.
>

> Base Data Types:

>     s = short - 16 bit
>     l = long - 32 bit
>     i = int
>     q = long long - 64 bit

I think these specific type-size mappings will be confusing, at best, on
systems where those C data types are of different sizes.  For example,
it is perfectly legal to have a system where short, int, and long are
all 64 bit.  I think if you want to specify a particular size, you might
be best off including that explicitly in the name, e.g. something like
i16, i32, or i64, as you suggest below, and leave the 's', 'i', and 'l'
to simply mean the native type, whatever that size might be.

Also, beware that not all integral types will necessarily fit in
parrot's INTVAL.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu