RFC: parrot_config over pkg-config for dynext build configuration

Peter Lobsinger plobsing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 04:26:53 UTC 2010

PDD30 and pkg-config don't work well together leading to the problems
described in TT #1842. In my opinion, the purpose of pkg-config
doesn't really agree with the goal of multiple installed versions.
Further, it is not likely to be installed on many systems we are
targeting.

parrot_config should contain any parrot configuration information,
including whatever is contained in parrot.pc. It is also already the
recommended way for languages to build themselves for a particular
parrot (pdd30). Rakudo already uses parrot_config for this purpose.

Therefore I wish to deprecate parrot.pc and rewrite the appropriate
sections of docs/embed.pod to use parrot_config in stead.

Comments?