RFC: parrot_config over pkg-config for dynext build configuration

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 05:20:10 UTC 2010

Howdy,

[snip]
> parrot_config should contain any parrot configuration information,
> including whatever is contained in parrot.pc. It is also already the

A big +1

> recommended way for languages to build themselves for a particular
> parrot (pdd30). Rakudo already uses parrot_config for this purpose.
>
> Therefore I wish to deprecate parrot.pc and rewrite the appropriate
> sections of docs/embed.pod to use parrot_config in stead.
>
> Comments?

PL/Parrot [0] uses parrot_config, and I doubt any embedding project
has ever used pkg-config for their build environment.

+1 to deprecating it, and focusing energy on making parrot_config have
anything that would be needed by HLL devs and embedders, as well
adding more documentation and examples.

Duke

[0] http://pl.parrot.org

--