RFC: parrot_config over pkg-config for dynext build configuration

Peter Lobsinger plobsing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 16:08:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Gerd Pokorra <gp at zimt.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> I think there is no need to make mention of "pkg-config" in the
> documentation. I believe it is better to have an example of
> "parrot_config" there. But I think not to note "pkg-config" in the PPD
> is enough. Some linux distributions like to have the file "parrot.pc".
>
> -- Gerd

Here's why I want to eliminate parrot.pc:
1) parrot.pc is not useful to anyone at the current time (TT #1842)
2) fixing it to be useful would violate the letter and the objectives
of PDD30 (TT #735)
3) it is a duplicate configuration mechanism. it's existence muddies
the waters when somebody wants to know how to build against parrot.
everyone should always be using parrot_config for anything parrot
configuration related.

If some linux distro wants to have a parrot.pc, they are free to pull
the values out of parrot_config and generate it themselves. It is
likely to be disused, fall out of date, and generally be wrong; just
like the current situation.