parrot/parrot has lost its last 12 hours of commits

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:01:06 UTC 2010

The underlying problem is that our "Developers" group had
"Push,Pull&Admin" privileges. I don't know when that got set up (it
may just be the default option), but it's the admin privs that let
Andy delete the repo.

And it's not a Git problem, it's a Github one. If anybody wanted to
start the company, I'm sure svnhub.com would have a similar
[mis-]feature. A git repository, to somebody who has the ability, is
no easier to delete than an svn repo. Unfortunately, we had too many
people with the ability (and a web interface that wasn't clear enough
about what exactly was going on). Luckily we were able to fix it
almost immediately, including restoring the entire history. I don't
believe that we actually lost any data either. I had a clone that I
created not long before the incident, and verified that nothing was
missing from that point.

This morning I changed the developer group so that it only had
"Push&Pull" privs. The extra admin stuff is really not worth touching
once everything is set up. Metacommitters still have access to those
options. We can explore ways to further narrow down the list of people
with access if we're worried about it.

--Andrew Whitworth