Parrot 2.10.1 released!

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:14:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Gerd Pokorra wrote:

> On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 2.10.1
> "(bugfix release)." Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine
> aimed at running all dynamic languages.
>
> Parrot 2.10.1 is available on Parrot's FTP site, or by following the
> download instructions at http://parrot.org/download.
>
> New in 2.10.1
>  - This is a bugfix release to run "perl Configure.pl" without noise
> from git_describe and SHA1

Thank you for doing this.

Incidentally, the actual problem wasn't the noise (for example there's
been similar @noinline@ noise for a while).  The serious problem is that
(if the user has git installed) Configure.pl exits with an error status.
This will stop various build tools, such as ones that one might use to
make a .deb or .rpm package.  Hence building packages is likely to be
broken.

Unfortunately, there still seems to be an error in the package (some
confusion over 2_10_0 vs. 2_10_1).  It needs my patch in TT #1856 in order
to build.

Even after that, rakudo is still unhappy and won't build off an installed
parrot-2.10.1 built from the tarball.  See TT #1852 for the error
messages.  I don't know whether rakudo is querying the wrong key for a
release or parrot is not supplying the correct key, but it ought to be
straightened out.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu