string_checks branch ready for merging

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 14:37:12 UTC 2010

Nick Wellnhofer wrote:
> I fixed all the problems that I know of in the string_checks branch and
> plan to merge it in the next days. Testers are still welcome. If you are
> on a system with ICU, it would be nice if you could test with and
> without ICU enabled.

Attaching a diff.  (Since this is the first time, I've used the 'git
diff <master_HEAD>...<branch_HEAD>' command, please check for validity.

I conducted the following tests:
Linux/i386; ICU is installed
a. no particular command-line options: 'make test' PASS
http://smolder.parrot.org/app/projects/report_details/1333
b. --without-icu: 'make test' PASS
http://smolder.parrot.org/app/projects/report_details/1334

Darwin/PPC; ICU is not (to my or Configure's knowledge) installed:
a. no particular command-line options: 'make test' PASS
http://smolder.parrot.org/app/projects/report_details/1335