GCI: Embedding Parrot into Firefox

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 00:47:17 UTC 2010

I set up this little research project as a GCI task to explore the
idea of embedding Parrot into FireFox. An immediate goal would be to
allow JavaScript-on-Parrot to be a potential scripting engine in
FireFox, if only as an academic exercise. Of course, we would also
immediately get the ability to use other languages that run on Parrot
as the client-side script languages.

According to some of the information that Alexander dug up, it doesn't
look like we can do this in a natural way with <script
type="application/parrot-lang-x"></script> tag. If it's possible,
there is very very very little documentation about it. It is looking
like we could use <embed> tag run Parrot apps in (think of how
Silverlight or Flash run in a browser).

Getting Parrot into web browsers is something I want to pursue
personally in the coming year. This is just food for thought.

--Andrew Whitworth