Rakudo builds are unbearably slow with 2.9.0 (somewhat urgent)

Donald Hunter donald at sealgair.com
Tue Oct 19 22:24:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

For what it's worth, I used to build Parrot and Rakudo and mod_parrot on a
Buffalo Linkstation with 128 MB RAM. I used to successfully use dlfunc to
load sqlite3 functions and bind them into Rakudo where I was enjoying
learning Perl 6 while working on a Web DB project. That was back in the pre
1.0 Parrot days. Unfortunately performance has got steadily slower and
binding C code harder to achieve so I shelved it and have been looking
forward to the day I might have time to contribute to making Parrot and
Rakudo faster.

I get the impression from today's #parrotsketch that running Parrot and
Rakudo on a 128 MB Linkstation is not considered to be a valid goal any
more. Surely Parrot and Rakudo should be able to run with comparable
performance to Perl 5 or Python or Ruby on this size of hardware?

Cheers,
Donald.