Rakudo builds are unbearably slow with 2.9.0 (somewhat urgent)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 20 03:09:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:24:37PM +0100, Donald Hunter wrote:
> I get the impression from today's #parrotsketch that running Parrot
> and Rakudo on a 128 MB Linkstation is not considered to be a valid
> goal any more. [...]

Not exactly.  It remains a goal for us, but at the moment Rakudo
developers are focused more on feature completeness, correctness,
and speed.  We do expect to improve memory usage a great deal
(Jonathan Worthington's current efforts should help substantially
here), but we don't want to essentially halt development in other
areas to preserve a small memory footprint.

Also note that the discussion today was about the resources needed
to *build* Rakudo, not necessarily to run it once it has been built.

Pm