Inspiration for our Git Migration
jaleto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 07:40:27 UTC 2010
This is a good read:
This is the important part:
Assuming that there are any projects out there who have not yet
switched to their distributed version control system of choice, here's
a few things to learn from our migration:
* Start with a Git mirror.
* Designate a specific "Git migration team". Make sure they have
lots of free time.
* Your first attempt to migrate will probably fail, so you need to
be prepared for more than one.
* Changing your infrastructure, workflow, and build tool
dependencies is harder than the repository conversion.
* Make friends with the conversion tool authors.
* Write lots of docs about the new tools and workflow.
* The more history you have on your current system, the more work
conversion is going to be.
* Things which are broken in your current history are not going to
fix themselves when you migrate.
* When testing the conversion, make sure to look at more than HEAD
Jonathan "Duke" Leto
jonathan at leto.net
More information about the parrot-dev