purpose and value of MANIFEST

Christoph Otto (Excell Data Corporation) a-chotto at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 8 22:31:35 UTC 2010

While looking at the work required to port our existing svn-specific tools to git, tools/dev/mk_manifest_and_skip.pl stood out as taking the most effort to port by far.  If it provides enough value to Parrot, I'll be glad to move it over (if nobody beats me to it).  However, it seems to get in the way far more frequently than it helps, with manifest fixes being a fairly regular occurrence.
If there are no strong reasons to keep this bit of infrastructure around, I propose that we rip it out.  This will simplify the development process in the short term by removing the obligatory manifest regeneration stage, and in the near future by obviating the largest task remaining in porting our toolchain to git.

Christoph