Fundamental issues in porting create_language.pl and mk_language_shell.pl to git

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 07:49:40 UTC 2010

Howdy,

I am down to our last two build tools in the migration to git. They are
basically the same script:

 mk_language_shell.pl creates a language that uses a Configure.pl and
Makefile, while create_language.pl makes a setup.pir .

They both have one operation that is totally dependent on Subversion, and
that is:

Compare two integer revisions to see if one is greater than the other.

This cannot be done in git.

It *is* possible to tell which of 2 git commits happened later,

Our current tools expect to be able to compare a Subversion revision number,
without access to the repo,
and see if one is greater than the other.

I remember pmichaud++ had some really good ideas about how to solve this
issue.

Any thoughts on how to solve this would be super-awesome.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto
jonathan at leto.net