Fundamental issues in porting create_language.pl and mk_language_shell.pl to git

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Thu Sep 16 08:18:35 UTC 2010

Am 16.09.2010 09:49, schrieb Jonathan Leto:
> Compare two integer revisions to see if one is greater than the other.
>
> This cannot be done in git.
>
> It *is* possible to tell which of 2 git commits happened later,

moritz at trudi:~/rakudo>git describe
2010.08-103-gcd151f6

This gives you the last tag (aka release number) and the number of
commits since that last tag. If you assume that somebody is tracking the
central repository, comparing those two numbers is a rather good
approximation of a linear revision number.

Maybe not ideal, but I think a sufficient approximation.

Cheers,
Moritz