Copying/migrating languages repository to Github

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 15:12:59 UTC 2010

I've started copying some of the languages from
https://svn.parrot.org/languages to Github. As part of the
copy/migration I am breaking each language up into it's own
stand-alone repository, and moving them all under the umbrella of the
Parrot organization.

I am focusing my efforts right now on compilers which are based on
"real" languages, and which seem to be in decent shape. Note that I am
not attempting to build/test/use these compilers before I declare them
"in good shape", it's mostly a quick visual inspection thing.

The languages that I am planning to move now (* means I have already
moved it), assuming they pass my "rigorous" visual inspection are:

bf*
c99*
chitchat*
ecmascript*
forth*
lisp
lolcode
ook
pheme
punie

The languages json, pir, and pod have all been more or less replaced
by more modern projects elsewhere in the ecosystem, so I am not
planning to move these over without special request.

The language "jako" doesn't appear to be following any existing
language or spec. Without the original developer or somebody who is
willing to carry the torch, there's no way this project is going to
grow or be used. If somebody wants it, I would be happy to set up a
git repo for you.

The language "dotnet" doesn't look like it has received any love in a
while, and I do not know it's current state. I won't move this without
somebody expressing interest in it.

The compiler "scheme" is a Scheme -> PASM compiler written in Perl5.
With just a cursory examination of the generated code output, I don't
think it will work with any Parrot post-2.0. I also will not move this
language without somebody expressing interest in it.

This is mostly a proof-of-concept migration to show that we can move
from svn to git on github without any headaches. I am not planning to
delete the languages repository or make it read-only or anything like
that. If I've screwed up the migration in anyway, we can delete things
on github and start over.