Copying/migrating languages repository to Github

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 30 15:40:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:12:59AM -0400, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> This is mostly a proof-of-concept migration to show that we can move
> from svn to git on github without any headaches. I am not planning to
> delete the languages repository or make it read-only or anything like
> that. If I've screwed up the migration in anyway, we can delete things
> on github and start over.

FWIW, I think that "proof of concept" migrations are best done in
personal GitHub repositories rather than the shared "parrot"
repository.  That way the question of "official repository location"
doesn't even come up.  Then, when a decision is made to actually
switch things over, it's easy to re-migrate to the parrot account
(or, if the personal migration worked out okay, to simply fork the
personal repo into the parrot account).

I'm not saying we need to eliminate the work that has already been
done -- it's just a thought for the future.

Pm