Parrot error messages

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 01:13:50 UTC 2011

How tied are we to the exact format and wording of the error messages
and exception backtraces produced by our current parrot executable?
I'm working on a new frontend in the whiteknight/frontend_parrot2
branch, and it's going to be extremely difficult to exactly reproduce
some of these error messages verbatim. The only thing that is going to
be changed are the error messages when you run parrot from the parrot
binary, not error messages printed out by anything running on Parrot
or programs compiled with pbc_to_exe.

We have several tests which use perl5 regular expressions to match
error messages in whole or in part. How valid or important are these
tests?

Would the text and information content of error messages be covered by
the deprecation policy?

Assuming things can be changed, are there any requests?

Thanks,