Updating in-repo version of Pod::Simple

Aaron Faanes dafrito at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:00:45 UTC 2011

Parroteers! I've been working on closing some long-lived documentation
bugs [1][2][3], and I've been wondering about the future of Parrot's
Pod::Simple module. The version we currently keep is a bit dated, and
it's possible some of these bugs would be fixed by upgrading. I've
been considering a few ways of doing this, but I'm not sure which
would be the best way:

1. Fix any issues in the module, but otherwise leave it alone.
2. Upgrade Pod::Simple in place. This involves removing our version,
putting in the one from the official repo [4].
3. Use a submodule that refers to the official repo directly. This
involves a small amount of work to get submodules to behave correctly
with Parrot's manifest generation script, but I think I've figured
that out.
4. Remove Pod::Simple entirely and depend on users to have it available.

For my two cents, solutions 2-4 aren't really safe until it's been
determined that Parrot's changes are either duplicated or superseded
by the official version. So to check that, I've starting doing #2.
This lets me diff the changes between our version and upstream.
However, it's a pretty huge diff, so to make it more manageable, I've
been pulling apart the changes into semi-logical commits. What I
should have at the end of this process is a pull request with a
manageable series of commits from our version to upstream's latest.
Once I've gotten to that point, I think it will be easier to see
whether we can replace it with a submodule or remove it entirely.

Thoughts, comments welcome!

Footnotes:

[1] http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/558
[2] http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/559