Calling a PIR method continuesly from C++ side.

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:31:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Leto <jaleto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to just say that "should" is your personal opinion, and not any
> formal policy.

According to PDD10 (which is no longer in draft) "embedding
applications may not use any other functions. ... can have serious
implications for application stability." I'm not sure how much more
formal we would need to get with it.

Let me rephrase: For embedding applications you *MUST NOT* use the
Parrot_PMC_morph function *NOR ANY OTHER* functions from the extending
API.

The two are different and are not for mixing and matching.

> When I was writing PL/Parrot [0], before the new embed API, the only way to
> make stuff work was to use a mixture of embed and extend_vtable functionality.
> Hopefully your new embed API will obviate the need for this, but currently, the
> new embed API still does not provide everything that is needed.

Yes, things were dark and scary back in the Before Time. Embedding
Parrot happened uphill both ways, and we are thankful just to have the
opportunity.

The new embedding API is not complete, but new features are added as
quickly as they are requested.

I will help get PL/Parrot updated to use the new API soon.