What gets covered by 'make cover' and 'make fullcover'

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jan 1 03:26:48 UTC 2011

Many of the tasks created for Parrot's Google Code-Inn participants have
involved boosting the percentage of our source code touched by our test
suite.  This had the secondary effect of focusing our attention on the
adequacy (or lack thereof) of our code coverage tools.  What used to be
called 'make cover' exercises roughly the same set of tests as does
'make fulltest', so it has been renamed 'make fullcover'
(http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1900).  A shorter coverage target
(originally named 'make quickcover', now called 'make cover') has been
created in the hope that more coverage-driven testing and refactoring
will get done if coverage analysis is not so time-consuming
(http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1893).

The question quickly arises: How does 'make cover' compare with 'make
fullcover'?  You will find attached 3 plain-text files that help answer
this question.

a.identical.coverage.txt: Lists source code files whose statement
coverage from 'make fullcover' was the same as from 'make cover'.

b.different.coverage.txt: Lists source code files whose statement
coveragge from 'make fullcover' differed from that of 'make cover'.

c.fullonly.coverage.txt:  Lists source code files which were covered
only by 'make fullcover'.

(There was nothing meaningful in the output for files covered only by
'make cover'.)

Evaluate.

Thank you very much.

kid51