pbc-backref branch ready for testing/merging

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Sat Jan 15 07:59:16 UTC 2011

On 01/15/2011 03:43 AM, Peter Lobsinger wrote:
> Here are some of the improvements this branch brings:
>  * rakudo perl6.pbc size:                               65% smaller
>  * rakudo hello-world machine instructions:     23% fewer
>  * rakudo repl RSS:                                      33% less
>  * parrot opsc.pbc (typical nqp program) size: 15% smaller

* rakudo startup time: 20% less

> moritz++ also reports that rakudo spectest is noticeably faster,
> however I have been unable to reproduce anything beyond roughly a 10%
> improvement (still feels downright glacial to me).

Don't trust anything I said yesterday, I was under tremendous strain and
could barely type, let alone think :-)

But yes, spectest on the branch still passes today, and 10% speedup
seems about right (and might come entirely from the reduced startup time).

Thanks for the great improvements,
Moritz