tools/install/smoke_languages.pl: What purpose does this serve?

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Jan 15 23:47:13 UTC 2011

In the course of some cage-cleaning, I came across
http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1360.  This led me to look at
tools/install/smoke_languages.pl and try to run it.  This was the output
I got:

perl tools/install/smoke_languages.pl --bindir=.
1..33
ok 1 # skip abc
ok 2 # skip Befunge
ok 3 # skip bf
ok 4 # skip bf
ok 5 # skip bf
ok 6 # skip blizkost
ok 7 # skip Cardinal
ok 8 # skip ChitChat
ok 9 # skip .NET
ok 10 # skip EcmaScript
ok 11 # skip fun
ok 12 # skip fun
ok 13 # skip gil
ok 14 # skip HQ9Plus
ok 15 # skip Lisp
ok 16 # skip LOLCODE
ok 17 # skip Lua
ok 18 # skip m4
ok 19 # skip Markdown
ok 20 # skip matrixy
ok 21 # skip Paraplegic
ok 22 # skip Pheme
ok 23 # skip Pipp
ok 24 # skip porcupine
ok 25 # skip primitivearc
ok 26 # skip Punie
ok 27 # skip Pynie
ok 28 # skip Rakudo
ok 29 # skip Shakespeare
ok 30 # skip steme
ok 31 # skip Squaak
ok 32 # skip unlambda
ok 33 # skip WMLScript

Wow! Awesome!

Now, ISTR that once upon a time a lot of toy languages had Parrot
implementations and lived in our repository.  Well they're not there any
more.  Which leads to the question:  What purpose, if any, does this
program serve?

If no one can articulate a good reason for retaining it, out it goes!

Thank you very much.

kid51