PDS aftermath: .nqp programs in Parrot core

Christoph cggaertner at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:29:17 UTC 2011

On Jan 31, 5:48 pm, chromatic <chroma... at wgz.org> wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011 at 08:32, Christoph  wrote:
>
> > I don't agree with
> > the philosophy that choosing a non-modular design to facilitate vendor-
> > lockin is ok as long as it's the 'good guys' who do it;
>
> No one is seriously suggesting Parrot adopt a deliberate strategy to *thwart*
> cross-VM portability.

I'm not talking about a strategy for Parrot here, but what my
(probably wrong) impression of your reaction to the Rakudo folks'
plans for nqp was:

As I see it, there already is a Rakudo/Parrot compatibility layer:
it's just ad-hoc and sprinkled over the whole code-base. The Rakudo
folks want to make their runtime more modular by moving all the bits
and pieces to a single point - nqp - which you  oppose.

In my opinion, this could be benefical to both Rakudo and Parrot,
though: Rakudo will get portability, whereas Parrot gets to see where
exactly it does not meet Rakudos needs, and the long-term goal would
be to make the compatibility-layer disappear...

Christoph