Rakudo needs from Parrot in 2011

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 31 19:08:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:47:33PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Get away from PIR (and we're
> > working to provide you the tools to do this), and you most likely will
> > not have this issue.
>
> If I may channel Jim Keenan for a moment: Is there any estimate as
> to which Parrot release will offer these tools?  Will it appear on
> the Parrot roadmap as a goal Parrot is committed to providing between
> now and 4.0?  Are there any preliminary design documents or discussion
> that describe what these new tools might look like?

After re-reading this a bit, I wish to clearly state that "No" is a
perfectly reasonable and acceptable answer to the above questions (and
that I should probably leave such statements to Jim in the first place :-).

My goal in this thread is to let Parrot developers know where Rakudo
needs things from Parrot, and not to try to pressure Parrot into
commitments of specific development or support.  It's entirely
up to the Parrot leadership to decide where Parrot's priorities
are, and Rakudo will work with them the best that we can.

Pm