temporary files

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 00:38:24 UTC 2011

I've talked to a few people recently who wanted temporary file
functionality in Parrot. I've wanted it too myself, and it would be a
big help for things like testing, etc. I've been looking at the
details about how to implement temporary files, and the list of
options is not pretty.

Right now, my tentative plan is to expose something like tmpnam()
through a method on the OS dynpmc. This would give us unique file
names for temporary use, but the files wouldn't be automatically
deleted on close like they would with something like tmpfile().

Before I start putting together any code, does anybody have any
opinions or ideas about temporary files? It's  not going to be a huge
amount of work, but I want to make sure we do what people need. Please
let me know, I'll probably work on this next week if possible.

Thanks,