Parrot 3.6.0 "Pájaros del Caribe" Released

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue Jul 19 05:38:01 UTC 2011

We are proud to announce Parrot 3.6.0, also known as "Pájaros del
Caribe". Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 3.6.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site, or by following the
download instructions. For those who want to hack on Parrot or languages
that run on top of Parrot, we recommend our organization page on GitHub,
or you can go directly to the official Parrot Git repo on Github.

To clone the the Parrot Git repo into a directory called 'parrot', use
the following:

     git clone git://github.com/parrot/parrot.git

If you want it to be in a directory other than 'parrot', then just give
that as a second
argument to clone:

     git clone git://github.com/parrot/parrot.git parrot_foo

Parrot 3.6.0 News:

- Core
   + Class.add_vtable_override now allows you to overwrite an override
   + Integers, floats and strings can now be stored in lexical variables.
     Previously, only PMCs could be stored in lexicals.
   + VTABLE_substr has been removed. VTABLE_substr_str has been renamed to
     VTABLE_substr
   + Added a new PackfileView PMC type, an intended replacement for the
deprecated
     Eval PMC.
   + The is_integer vtable on the String PMC now works for all string
encodings.
   + Unicode error messages on Win32 now work correctly.
   + A memory leak in IMCC was fixed.
- Languages
   + The snaphost of Winxed included with Parrot was updated to version
1.0.0
   + Winxed has migrated to Github: https://github.com/NotFound/winxed

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:

a6ae5c4a1af3602043d1139a12ae9d4dfe2dd000250b1a76fc339bf4a004f8c7
parrot-3.6.0.tar.bz2
8280930a12a66c384b397b31482df2efc1fcc65efd723b279c71b1e283c2638f
parrot-3.6.0.tar.gz

Thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our
sponsors for supporting this project. The following people (in random
order) contributed to this release. Thanks!

Julian Albo, Matt Boyle, Vasily Chekalkin, chromatic, Will Coleda, Bruce
Gray, Brian Gernhardt, Michael H. Hind, James E Keenan, Bob Kuo, Andy
Lester, Jonathan "Duke" Leto, Peter Lobsinger, Patrick Michaud,
Christoph Otto, Felipe Pena, Francois Perrad, Gerd Pokorra, Kevin
Polulak, Tadeusz Sośnierz, Andrew Whitworth, Jonathan Worthington.

Our next release is 16 August 2011.

Did you think we were going to leave without a quotation? Wrong!

     "El concierto de tantos pájaros distinto llegó a ser tan aturdidor,
que Úrsula se tapó los oídos con cera de abejas para no perder el
sentido de la realidad. La primera vez que llegó la tribu de Melquíades
vendiendo bolas de vidrio para el dolor de cabeza, todo el mundo se
sorprendió de que hubieran podido encontrar aquella aldea perdida en el
sopor de la ciénaga, y los gitanos confesaron que se habían orientado
por en canto de los pájaros."

The Release Manager will offer a public commendation and a suitable
prize to the first person who correctly identifies the source of this
quotation WITHOUT USING THE INTERNET. Send your determination of the
source to jkeenan at cpan dot org and testify that you did not use the
http(s) protocol, directly or indirectly, in researching the source.

Enjoy!

James E Keenan
jkeenan at cpan dot org; IRC #parrot kid51
Release Manager, Parrot 3.6.0