hold off committing for a bit?

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Wed Jul 20 08:10:48 UTC 2011

Am 18.07.2011 23:03, schrieb Jonathan "Duke" Leto:
> Howdy,
>

>> Duke:  This was (bad) side effect of the problem last night where you and I were each fixing the same point in the same file.  I got a merge-conflict there last night.  I thought I had it all cleaned up at that time.  Turns out I had not.  So things got further muddled today; one thing led to another ...
>>
>> To clear things up on my end, I blew away my local repository and did a fresh clone from git.
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> No worries, Jim. If there is anything that I can add to our git
> workflow document to prevent others from running into something like
> this, please let me know.

Maybe add a note that blowing away the local repository is basically
never necessary with git, you can usually reset everything with

$ git clean -xdf   # attention, deletes all files not under version control
$ git checkout master
$ git reset --hard origin/master
$ git checkout .

(not sure if the last step is actually needed)

It doesn't really solve the problem mentioned here, but it can make
things more efficient for the confused contributor.

Cheers,
Moritz