compile error on openbsd with g++

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Sat Jul 23 20:17:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> To give more info:
>
> bash-4.0$ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (propolice)
>
> bash-4.0$ uname -a
> OpenBSD loulou.esiee.fr 4.6 GENERIC#43 sparc64
>
> Duke
>

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Jonathan "Duke" Leto
> <jonathan at leto.net> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Just got the openbsd smoker in the farm working again, and it hit a
> > compile error:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/1099956

Without seeing both the output of Configure.pl --verbose and the
preprocessed output of src/string/api.c, it's hard to be sure, but this
looks like the sort of thing you get when parrot's detection of attributes
is wrong.

In particular, the gcc-3.3/HASATTRIBUTE_UNUSED combination is tricky:  It
works in gcc-3.3, but fails in g++-3.3.

If would run the preprocessor (g++ -E [all the other flags you have]) on
src/string/api.c and fiddle with the output to see which specific
attribute is causing the problem.  Then I'd look at the output of
Configure.pl [all your flags] --verbose to see why Configure.pl picked
that flag.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu