Looking for Help with HBDB

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Sat Jul 30 14:17:41 UTC 2011

Howdy,

Just to clarify, Kevin meant "since the merge of master into this
branch" which was:

2a8794f Merge branch 'master' into soh-cah-toa/hbdb Christoph Otto  4
weeks ago Mon Jul 4 10:46:17 2011

If someone could help figure out why that merge borked hbdb, that
would be awesomely helpful.

Duke

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Kevin Polulak <kpolulak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize that most of us Parrot developers are just about always knee deep
> in 1's and 0's but if you think you can spend some time to help a struggling
> GSoC student work on his debugger, I would really appreciate it. The
> adventures of HBDB has reached a bit of a stalemate. The clock is ticking
> and I'm really starting to feel the pressure since my debugger still doesn't
> really do anything useful.
>
> If you haven't already, please read my latest blog post. It describes most
> of the problems I'm facing. My biggest problem right now is basic execution
> commands like 'run' and 'step'. They work by manipulating a few status bits
> in a global bitmask and then the runcore checks the bitmask to decide how
> and if execution should resume. The 'run' command works just fine but the
> 'step' command has just been completely out of control. I tried creating a
> special HBDB_STEP flag which works but apparently there are several
> instructions that are executed before the first line in the :main function
> so you must 'step' 4-5 times before an actual opcode is reached. I've also
> considered taking the traditional route by simply placing a temporary
> breakpoint at the next instruction but if you've been reading any of my blog
> posts, you'll know that breakpoints have been a complete nightmare. Besides
> that, getting the next pc value is not that easy because it is not
> sequential; if pc is 41, pc++ is not guaranteed to be 42.
>
> Should any of you decide to help I suggest you look in the following places
> on the soh-cah-toa/hbdb branch:
>
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_cmd_step() : +724
> src/runcore/cores.c : runops_hbdb_core() : +799
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_check_breakpoint() : +770
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_runloop() : +1105
>
> I'm also struggling with the 'quit' command. Ever since the merge into
> master, it segfaults and crashes. If you want to take a crack at it, look
> at:
>
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_cmd_quit() : +676
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_start() : +1139
> src/hbdb.c : hbdb_runloop() : +1105
>
> I've been on my own here for a while so I would be very grateful if some of
> you would be willing to give a helping hand.
>
> --
> - Kevin Polulak (soh_cah_toa)

Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC
209.691.DUKE // http://labs.leto.net
NOTE: Personal email is only checked twice a day at 10am/2pm PST,
please call/text for time-sensitive matters.