Prototypal inheritance in JavaScript

rohit jangid rohit.nsit08 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:51:43 UTC 2011

Hi,
I ran into a confusion in prototypal inheritance in javascript,

in this code

var Constructor = function(){};
Constructor.prototype.hello = "hello"
Constructor.prototype.value = 1;
Constructor.prototype.test = function() { console.log(this.hello); };

// creating object from this constructor class

var rj = new Constructor();    // create an instance of A

rj.test();

console.log(rj);
console.log(rj.prototype);

**********************************output*************************************************************
hello
{}
undefined

how object is knowing that it can use test() function as it is not its
own property and neither in its prototype

even logically the properties shouldn't be copied into the new object
as int that case it will be static, while we know any further
additions to Constructor.prototype will be reflected immediately in
the object .
Is there any hidden refrence created to the Constructor.prototype in
object . Or I'm missing some general point here?

thanks.

--
Rohit Jangid
Under Graduate Student,