Parrot Developer Summit, Jan 29 2011: Summary: Roadmap Goals and Action Items

Christoph Otto christoph at mksig.org
Wed Mar 16 04:09:06 UTC 2011

On 01/30/2011 11:19 AM, James E Keenan wrote:
> The first quarterly Parrot Developer Summit of the year was held starting at
> 2200 UTC on Saturday, October 29. The meeting was held online in
> #parrotsketch. The meeting was logged here:
> http://irclog.perlgeek.de/parrotsketch/2011-01-29 and /2011-01-30. At least 19
> people participated in the discussion.
>
> The following goals were designated as Roadmap Goals, i.e., goals for which
> (a) the Parrot project as a whole publicly pledges to deliver in specified
> supported releases; and (b) for which specific members of the project have
> organized themselves into a team, with a designated leader, for the purpose of
> achieving the goal.
>
> 1.
> Title: Deprecations-as-Data
> Subject: Change the way the project announces and tracks deprecations from a
> plain-text file to a data structure (currently, YAML).
> Team: dukeleto (lead), tadzik
> Release Target: 3.3 (Apr 19 2011)
> Further info:
> http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-January/005397.html;
> http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/1888
>
> 2.
> Title: IMCC Isolation
> Subject: Isolate IMCC as first step in its removal from libparrot
> Team: whiteknight (lead), plobsing, chromatic
> Release Target: 3.3 (Apr 19 2011)
> Further info:
> http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-January/005394.html;
> http://whiteknight.github.com/2011/01/23/the_imcc_plan.html
>
> 3.
> Title: Lorito: M0 Specification and Prototype
> Subject: Produce specification and initial implementation of the M0 layer of
> Lorito, defined as low-level details such as ops, memory layout, etc.
> Team: cotto (lead), atrodo, dukeleto
> Release Target 3.3 (Apr 19 2011)
> Further info:
> http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-January/005400.html

We were going to report on the progress of these tasks at #ps today, but
several people couldn't make it.  I suggested that we use parrot-dev to for
these reports.

The M0 spec and prototype goal is going more slowly than I'd like, but it's
making steady progress and is starting to come together.  The known remaining
important bits are to iron out ffi and nail down the concurrency primitives.
There are likely a few unforeseen design decisions that will need to be
thought through, but the bulk of the work is nearing completion.  It's a safe
bet that we'll have a spec done by 3.3 and there's a good chance that we'll
have an initial M0 interpreter to go with it.

Christoph