Tech Conferences and Parrot Outreach

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 17 19:42:24 UTC 2011

Friends,

There have been a lot of positive developments about Parrot in the past
six months, but we haven't been very good about letting the outside
world know about them.  That's something we have to change.

I know that several Parrot contributors -- Christoph Otto, Jonathan Leto
and Jonathan Worthington come to mind -- are already planning to speak
at technical conferences over the summer about Parrot or about
technologies like Rakudo that are built on top of Parrot.  That's
terrific!  We need more outreach like that.

To that end, we need to assemble a list of who is speaking on what, when
and where -- where the "what?" refers to Parrot or technologies built on
top of Parrot.  We'll start a wiki page for that, but, to make it
simple, if you are planning such a presentation, simply reply to this
list posting.  Needless to say, we'd particularly like to have people
who have yet to speak in public about Parrot do so for the first time.

Of course, technical conferences are only way of getting the message
about Parrot out.  We'd like to recruit people to help us with any and
all of the following:

* An introductory-level slideshow in PDF format (10-20 slides) about
Parrot that *anyone* (not just Parrot core developers) could run at a
local tech user group meeting (Perlmongers/Python user group, Linux/BSD
user groups, etc.).

* A 10-minute-long video about Parrot we could post to YouTube.  Or,
better, a series of such videos, the first of which could be
introductory and subsequent ones of which would be, say, quarterly updates.

* Parrot T-shirts.

* Parrot stickers.

So, please let us know if you are already planning to speak about Parrot
over the next six months, and please make other outreach-related
suggestions.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan (kid51)