GSoC 2011

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:23:58 UTC 2011

On 25 March 2011 00:43, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Ben, welcome to Parrot! It's really good to hear from you, and
> it's awesome that you're looking to do a GSoC project with Parrot.
>
> By way of fair warning, there are several other students who have also
> expressed interest in developing a Python 3 compiler, in whole or in
> part. Building a compiler is always a pretty big project, although I
> don't know if there is any reasonable way we can split the work up
> three ways.

I am one of the other students interested in doing Python2/3. I may be
convinced to bugger off and do something else, but not easily.

> Maybe we should hold a little mini-meeting with all the students
> interested in working on Python, and see if we can figure out a way to
> spread out the work.

Certainly, a second meeting would be useful. Perhaps I should write up
on the wiki the results of the last meeting.

> Are  you interested in any other projects? Are you interested in
> working on something similar, such as a Python 2 compiler instead?

Python2 and Python3 compilers would still share a lot of code, so I'm
not sure two separate projects would be beneficial. I think GSoC
policy frowns upon depending projects.