GSoC 2011 project idea: GMP bindings

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Fri Mar 25 19:36:37 UTC 2011

Howdy,

I think you are well-suited for this proposal Bob, but I want to see
a very detailed plan. I am holding you to a higher bar, since you
have been through GSoC before :)

> I think a major benefit would be that any HLL would get "free"
> BigNumber / BigRational / BigDecimal types.  It is also a stepping
> stone for more complex math and cryptographic libraries.  I'd
> appreciate any feedback about this project.  I'm bubaflub on IRC and
> you can email me directly.

Firstly, this GSoC project should concentrate only on BigInt-related
functions. Those are all that is needed for crypto and number theory
applications, and it is already enough work and complexity.

What parrot needs is access, through the NCI subsystem, to every
BigInt-related GMP function, or at least most of them. Currently
the most important would be bit-related ops, which Parrot currently
doesn't know how to access.

A good exercise will be to make a list of all functions that
Math::Primality uses in Math::GMPz. Those are the list of functions
that you should implement first in this project. They should all
have tests and documentation. After that, you can implement more
BigInt-related features, tests and docs, as you have time.

Does that sound like a good metaplan? Please put your project plan
somewhere publicly available (a github repo would be good), so Parrot
mentors can see and comment on it.

I am very excited to see what you are capable of this summer!

Duke