Backup mentors for GSOC

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:05:55 UTC 2011

We need backup mentors for a few GSoC projects. We like to have a
backup person around just in case the mentor disappears, or if the
student needs a second person to talk to. Responsibilities for the
backup mentor are slim: Basically, stay at least minimally familiar
with what the student is doing, try to be available to the student in
general, try to be helpful to the student and mentor if needed. These
also aren't exclusive positions, anybody can be helpful to a student
who is asking questions, and anybody can be following along with the
projects as they go. Students are expected to be writing blog post
every week and to meet with their mentors once a week. Backup mentors
can easily stay on top of things by reading those blog posts regularly
and/or attending the weekly meeting with the mentor (talk to the
student/mentor about timing for those meetings).

We mostly just like to have names in the empty slots so that if
something does happen and the mentor disappears, we have a person to
turn to first. If we do have a mentor disappear for a while, I'm sure
multiple other people will join in to help as well. In those cases, we
need one person designated as mentor to do end-of-term evaluations and
a scant handful of other administrative stuff.

Here are a list of the accepted GSoC projects, their mentors, and any
backup mentors who have volunteered. If anybody is willing/able to put
their name in one of the empty slots, it would be much appreciated. As
I mention above, in the best case the work load should be minimal, as
the mentor will handle most interactions with the student.

bubaflub, GMP library bindings.
Mentor: dukeleto. Backup: mikehh

benabik: newPOST
Mentor: bacek. Backup: PerlPilot

rohitnsit08: JavaScript
Mentor: Coke. Backup: Whiteknight

soh_cah_toa: Debugger
Mentor: cotto. Backup: NONE

cgaertner: Gobject bindngs
Mentor: Whiteknight. Backup: NONE

tcurtis: LALR Parser Generator
Mentor: darbelo. Backup: NONE

lucian: Python3
Mentor: allison. Backup: NONE

So we have 4 projects that need backup mentors. If any of these
projects sound personally interesting to you and you want to be
involved, or if you are willing to volunteer a little bit of time to
help the gears turn smoothly, please do. Let me know and I'll add your
name to the list.

Thanks,