Trac accounts: If you cannot login, request new password

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed May 11 22:50:04 UTC 2011

Friends,

As many of you know, late last week we experienced problems with our
infrastructure which manifested themselves in two ways:  (1)
inability to access our Smolder server or to upload files to it; (2)
inability to log in to Trac for the purpose of creating or commenting
on Trac tickets.

Parrot board members, as usual, have been in extensive contact with
our main provider, the Oregon State University Open Source Lab (OSU
OSL).  We don't yet have a cure for the Smolder problem (see separate
email on parrot-dev from Christoph Otto re Smolder).

But the Trac problem has, at minimum, stabilized for the time being.
We can create and comment on tickets.  However, to do so, each user
will have to reset his/her password.  When you attempt to log in and
are unsuccessful with your old password, you should click on the
"Forgot your password?" link and follow the link to request that Trac
mail you a new password.  You will then be able to log in and create
and comment on tickets.

We're in continuing contact with OSL to see if it's possible to
recover logins for people who have not yet reset their passwords.
But I'd say that the odds of doing that are less than 50-50.  So I
recommend you request a new password.

Please also note:  There is a chance that the OSL sysadmins will have
to take down the Trac system for maintenance at some point.  If they
do so, they will advise the Parrot directors first, and whoever of us
is on line at the time will post on #parrot.

And once you've got a working Trac login, how about working on some
of those old Trac tickets?  :-)

Thank you very much.

Jim Keenan