NCI 't' parameter type removed; no replacement?

Carl Mäsak cmasak at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:29:20 UTC 2011

Jonathan (>>), Peter (>):
>> It seems that the signatures for e.g. mysql database connection were
>> removed, not updated! The deprecation notice doesn't provide anything that
>> seems to help with our use case. Replacing t with S seems to lead to
>> segfaults; a further look shows that seems not to be passing a C string or
>> even the string buffer, but the STRING * pointer. None of the examples that
>> use the 't' parameter have been updated.
>
> The signatures were removed with the intent that they be replaced
> latter with their equivalents as needed.

...but they *were* needed. The bottom line is that before those
removals, Rakudo had a mysql database connection, and after, it
doesn't.

It seems to me that some kind of fundamental upstream-downstream
relationship isn't being done very carefully in this case. Is there
any way Rakudo Perl 6 application/module developers like me can
advertise our dependencies on Parrot interfaces in order to get
notified when they disappear?

// Carl