Trac-to-Github issues conversion

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Tue Nov 1 05:53:09 UTC 2011

I've got a first spike of moving issues from Trac to Github.  I'm asking for your input on my progress.

I've created a project called "scratch" on my github account with no source in the tree, but the issues are all populated from Trac.  https://github.com/petdance/scratch/issues

Note that I have ONLY brought over open issues.  Closed issues are being left behind.

Github doesn't have all the fields Trac does.  Github has labels, which are effectively tags.  You may have as many labels on a ticket as you like.  The colors assigned to each label are created randomly by my conversion program.  They can be changed after the real conversion.

Github does not have all the different fields Trac does like "component" and "type".  Those fields were converted to labels.  For sorting purposes, anything that was all caps got converted to lowercase, like "RFC" and "PCT" are labels of "rfc" and "pct".  It also disallows most punctuation, so "extend/embed" is now "extend-embed", etc.

For the Priority field, I assigned labels of "Pri-critical", "Pri-minor", etc.

For the Severity field, I assigned labels of "Sev-fatal", "Sev-medium", etc.

Do those label conversions make sense?  Please look at the actual data in https://github.com/petdance/scratch/issues
 before you answer.

There is still much to do:

* Add ticket history

* Add ticket ownership

* Convert the ticket text to Markdown it renders correctly.

* Add milestone

* Maybe converter autocleanup headings like titles starting with "[RFC]" and tag appropriately.

PLEASE look at the tickets and let me know what you think.  Are my assumptions about labels correct?  Are there gaping holes?

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy

--