ARM Fundamentals: Introduction to understanding ARM processors - ARM Community

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 21:11:30 UTC 2011

Howdy,

> After then, I'm not sure what the added instructions were for, but I suspect
> that they aren't going to be for things that JITs find useful.
>
> I'd suggest working out what ARM CPU architecture current Debian builds for,
> and doing that first. Then looking at what the later architectures offer,
> and only if they have something significantly useful that plugs a hole in
> the table, actually treating them differently.
>
> I'm not sure of the state of hardware floating point, as in, which chips
> have it (or means to do it), and how many different variations of it there
> are.

Thanks for the good advice, Nick. I recently saw a shiny new ARM v7 netbook
being wielded at a conference. Does anybody on this list have an ARM netbook? I
would love to know some more details. I have vague memories of lucian++ talking
about an ARM netbook recently, but I may be wrong.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
209.691.DUKE // http://leto.net