Gleanings from the GSoC Mentor Summit

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Mon Oct 24 17:45:28 UTC 2011

Howdy,

I am at the Git Together 2011 right now, so I am time constrained.

Documentation Shepherd:
https://twitter.com/#!/parrotvm/status/128518846997999618

To clarify, I have been fiddling around with Buildbot, but I don't care too
much about whether we use Jenkins of Buildbot. But we absolutely, positively
need to have distributed testing. This will solve *so many problems*.

I talked to Alexander Graf from qemu and he showed me how I can
generate binary rpms for Parrot for many different platforms via the
build.opensuse.org build server. I will send another email with all
the gory details.

I talked with RTEMS people and they are still very excited about getting Parrot
on RTEMS. They are very close to getting dlfunc support in RTEMS, which is
huge, and will lay the foundation for dynamic languages on real-time systems.
No concrete plans yet, but wheels are turning.

+1 to setting up a community metrics website. Perhaps metrics.parrot.org ?

Duke

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Christoph Otto <christoph at mksig.org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> This weekend, dukeleto++ and I had the privilege of attending the GSoC
> Mentor Summit.  The summit is a participant-run unconference for mentors
> of GSoC projects, by the hackers for the hackers, at Google's offices
> and on their dime.  Both of duke and I picked up a treasure trove of
> ideas and made some good connections with OSS hackers who we wouldn't
> usually get to hang out with.  I tried to take notes at all the sessions
> I attended and have boiled them down to a delicious list of action
> items.  There's some great stuff in the list that I hope will help make
> Parrot a better project and community, but it's considerably more than I
> can handle all by my lonesome.  Below is a summary list of the tasks I
> came up with.
>
> * Jenkins -  it's Java, but it's also awesome.  We need better CI and
>  many projects are using Jenkins to some very cool (and very lazy)
>  automated testing.  This would also help us make better use of the GCC
>  compile farm and OSUOSL's Supercell.
> * pdf.js apparently has a pretty cool bot.   Someone outght to see if
>  there's anything worth stealing and report back to parrot-dev.
> * dddash.ep.io is a spiffy and simple graphical display of developer
>  metrics.  This might be fun to put on a subdomain of parrot.org.
> * docs owner - our docs have always been something of a mess.  If
>  someone's interested, we could benefit from having a hacker who owns
>  our documentation and makes it his/her business to make our docs
>  shine.  This is a substantial commitment.
> * gsoc/gci analysis - We need to know how gsoc and gci are helping
>  Parrot, what our goals are and if we're meeting them.  We need
>  someone to lead this effort and to do some reporting about how gsoc
>  has gone in the past and where we can improve.  Note that Google
>  likes orgs that do this because it shows that we're concerned about
>  long-term results.
>
> I'll be going through them in more detail at #parrotsketch this Tuesday.
> If anything on the list looks interesting to any of you, please drop by
> and we'll see about putting you to work.  Alternately, just jump right
> in!  It's almost always better to ask for forgiveness than permission
> when hacking on Parrot.*  dukeleto++ has already started seriously
> looking at Jenkins and I've got a couple of blog posts to write and toys
> to experiment with.
>
> All this may be more than we can handle during one #ps, but I hope we
> can find people to work on a couple of these items.  Be thinking about
> what you'd like to do and I'll see you at #ps,
>
> Christoph
>

> *Except where it's not.

Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC
209.691.DUKE // http://labs.leto.net
NOTE: Personal email is only checked twice a day at 10am/2pm PST,
please call/text for time-sensitive matters.