How To Use api.yaml, was Re: Parrot is a foundering project on top of a wonderful vision.

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Thu Sep 8 15:06:15 UTC 2011

Howdy,

>> That being said, the way we store structured deprecation data in
>> api.yaml [4] will
>> become even more vital.
>
> I'm curious, is there a plan how exactly a HLL dev could profit from
> that data? (sorry for getting a bit off-topic here)

We have a few tools to help HLL + library developers currently:

https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/tools/dev/dedeprecator.nqp

https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/tools/dev/show_deprecated.nqp

https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/tools/dev/show_experimental.nqp

https://github.com/parrot/parrot/blob/master/tools/dev/resolve_deprecated.nqp

These help automate the process of finding experimental and deprecated code in
projects that use Parrot. They aren't perfect, and if you have a suggestion to
improve them, please let us know.

My vision is that Parrot will have a website which periodically polls all the
projects listed in Plumage, and runs these tools on their code repos so that a
pretty and useful website is generated which shows off this information with
useful links to Trac tickets, etc...

Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan at leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC
209.691.DUKE // http://labs.leto.net
NOTE: Personal email is only checked twice a day at 10am/2pm PST,
please call/text for time-sensitive matters.