PyPy plans to support Python 3

Jochen Plumeyer jochen at plumeyer.org
Tue Sep 13 00:49:16 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I am not involved whatsoever in Parrot, but as a Perl developer
(implementing languages as well) and fanboy I'm subscribed here.

On 12.09.2011 11:28, Jonathan "Duke" Leto wrote:
> An interesting read:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pypy-dev/2011-September/008288.html
>
> Duke

Regarding the ongoing positive identity crisis of this Parrot project,
perhaps PyPy, the Python interpreter implemented in Python, is an
example to learn from?
What is really stunning to me, the performance of PyPy, is now better
than the C implementation (really?).

Is Parrot like Kung-Fu ("there is no shortcut"), or is there another,
perhaps easier way, as it seems has been done with PyPy?
Are there saint cows to slaughter, perhaps it is better to drop the "all
dynamic languages VM" approach, and first implement a Perl6 JIT compiler
or something made in Perl5 and bootstrap that engine later to Perl6
itself? And do that JIT compiler a bit more generic, to support other
languages?

Just some additional brain noise, keep up the good work!

Jochen Plumeyer