3.8.0 Release Preparations

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Fri Sep 16 11:23:33 UTC 2011

On 9/15/11 10:38 PM, Kevin Polulak wrote:
> As you are probably aware, this months' release is coming next Tuesday on
> the 27th.

Kevin, thanks for stepping up to the plate on this.

> If you do encounter any test failures, make some noise here on
> parrot-dev and on #parrot.

In late August a change was made that caused test #13 in
t/dynpmc/select.t to begin failing on several OSes, Darwin among them.
The test appears to have been TODOed on Win32 and Msys and not further
addressed.  IIRC, benabik explained why this change would not work on
Darwin (and, note, this means that the problem is not PPC vs Intel).  I
believe others doubted the value of that particular test for any OS.
But others said that the select dynpmc needed to be maintained, if only
on 'experimental' status, because of Rakudo's needs.

Whichever is the case, this problem needs to be addressed before the
release.  Personally, I think if we acknowledge that a feature is
experimental, it ought to be retained in master *only* if its tests pass
on all of our supported platforms.  The change made in late August
appears to pass only on Linux and possibly the BSDs.

The reason I recommend this is that too often, TODOing failing tests for
particular OSes is tantamount to sending the underlying problem to
/dev/null.  This is particularly so when, as the case is here, the
particular test had been PASSing for years on all our supported
platforms and started to FAIL at a clear point in time.

My feeling is that the changes in the select dympmc should never have
been merged into master at all and should be reverted.  Those of us who
think it should stay in master now ought to address its continuing problems.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan