Updated: parrot-3.6.0-1 and rakudo-star-201107-1

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Sat Sep 17 10:09:26 UTC 2011

I updated the Cygwin distributions of parrot-3.6.0-1, rakudo-201107-1
(aka perl6) and rakudo-star-201107-1.

This is a stable, a so-called "supported" release.

Canonical homepages:
   http://www.parrot.org/
   http://www.rakudo.org/

Canonical downloads:
   http://www.parrot.org/release/current
   http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/downloads
   http://github.com/rakudo/star/downloads

Packaging Details:
* patched blitzkost (perl6 in perl6) to disable undefined
PARROT_CALLIN_START/PARROT_CALLIN_END

New in parrot-3.6.0
See http://parrot.org/news/2011/Parrot-3.6.0
- Core
   + Class.add_vtable_override now allows you to overwrite an override
   + Integers, floats and strings can now be stored in lexical variables.
     Previously, only PMCs could be stored in lexicals.
   + VTABLE_substr has been removed. VTABLE_substr_str has been renamed to
     VTABLE_substr
   + Added a new PackfileView PMC type, an intended replacement for the
deprecated
     Eval PMC.
   + The is_integer vtable on the String PMC now works for all string
encodings.
   + Unicode error messages on Win32 now work correctly.
   + A memory leak in IMCC was fixed.
- Languages
   + The snaphost of Winxed included with Parrot was updated to version
1.0.0
   + Winxed has migrated to Github: https://github.com/NotFound/winxed

rakudo release announcement:
   http://rakudo.org/2011/07/29/rakudo-star-2011-07-released/

This release of Rakudo Star adds the following features over the
previous Star release:
* 10%-30% improvement in compile and execution speed
* New gcd (greatest common divisor) and lcm (largest common multiple)
operators
* Int.base
* Call counter for Perl 6-level subroutines
* Better handling of &infix:<=> right associativity
* Fix bug in exponentiation of negative numbers
* Fix building on systems with smaller RAM

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Once you've downloaded setup.exe, run it and select "Editors"
or "Text" and then click on the appropriate fields until the above
announced version numbers appear if they are not displayed already.

If your mirror doesn't yet have the latest version of this package after
24 hours, you can either continue to wait for that site to be updated or
you can try to find another mirror.

Please send questions or comments to the Cygwin mailing list at:
cygwin at cygwin.com

If you want to subscribe go to:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/

I would appreciate if you would use this mailing list rather than
emailing me directly.  This includes ideas and comments about the setup
utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.