Future of Javascript

Tom Christiansen tchrist at perl.com
Sun Sep 18 16:45:16 UTC 2011

> Interesting read for those of us interested in JS-on-Parrot:

> 	http://markmail.org/message/uro3jtoitlmq6x7t

Actually, it's interesting for other reasons, too.  Here is a
portion of their literal text, where I’ve taken the liberty
to replace each instance of "Javascript" with "Perl":

    Overview of two-pronged solution

    There are two ways to approach the problem: either we can try to
    evolve Perl, or we can push for a new language that addresses core
    problems in Perl that can’t be repaired easily or quickly.

    The “evolve Perl” option is relatively low risk, but even in the best
    case it will take years and will be limited by fundamental problems in
    the language (like the existence of a single Number primitive).  Perl
    has historical baggage that cannot be solved without a clean break.
    Thus, although it’s low risk, it’s also relatively low reward.

    The “clean break” option is extremely high risk—it will be a huge
    challenge to convince other browser vendors to rally around a new
    language—but is the only way to escape the historic problems with
    Perl.  Thus, its high risk is matched by the potential for a very
    high reward—a classic leapfrog strategy.

    Pursuing either strategy in isolation is likely to fail.  The evolve Perl
    strategy, if executed in isolation, leaves the web in a hobbled state and
    unable to compete against the encroachment of other, less open platforms.
    The clean break strategy, in isolation, would leave us in an undesirable
    situation if it were to fail—Perl evolution would have slowed down or
    evolved in undesirable ways without our support, we would still have the
    fundamental flaws, and—worst of all—Google’s leadership position on the web
    would be seriously damaged.

    The only solution is to execute the two strategies in parallel.

See what I mean?  In the Perl context, the two strategies executing in
parallel are of course Perls 5 and 6.

--tom