Rough Draft of Proposal for review by Justin Harper

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Thu Apr 5 06:53:21 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 April 2012 17:09:14 Justin L. Harper wrote:

> Good afternoon members of Parrot. I have attached a second rough draft
> of my proposal if anyone would like to view and I welcome any
> suggestions and ideas you may have to help improve my proposal. Thank
> you and have a nice day.

Not really an idea for your proposal but more for the actual implementation:
more or less incidentally the current implementation in the threads branch
already imposes some of the restrictions your proposal is talking about. In a
thread's interp many of the globals are replaced by read-only proxies so for
example loading new libraries or HLLs has to be done on the main thread.

Of course the interesting thing with the threading architecture is that the
child threads can tell the main thread to do this for them. But they have to
go through the narrow channel of a single function to do this, so this might
be a nice place to implement restrictions.

Anyway I might at least be able to answer some questions about Parrot's
architecture that will arise when you try to implement this.

Stefan