sound distribution practices

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 8 02:44:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 07:12:19PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> Patrick and I just chatted on the phone, here's a summary of the working
> scenario we reached:
>
> - Rakudo will deliver a Rakudo release for each supported ("stable")
> Parrot release, a few days after the Parrot release.
>
> - Debian will package each supported release of Parrot.
>
> Debian packages for Rakudo will either:
>
> - Rebuild the old Rakudo packages on the new Parrot packages (since the
> old compiled bytecode, etc won't work on a different version of Parrot), or
>
> - Package the new version of Rakudo at exactly the same time as the new
> version of Parrot. Define the version requirements so tightly (=) that
> the Rakudo packages require exactly one version of Parrot.
>
> The first alternative is better, and will be the first preference. But
> it needs stable APIs from Parrot, so old Rakudo packages consistently
> work on newer versions of Parrot. This is mostly working, but the
> exceptions are pain points for packaging (we've got one coming up for 4.3).

Because Parrot bytecode is incompatible (both forward and
backward) between Parrot releases, doesn't the first alternative
also require the Rakudo package's requirements to be bound
tightly (=) to exactly one version of Parrot?

(I'm mainly seeking to improve/confirm my understanding of packaging
issues here.)

Pm