sound distribution practices

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Sun Apr 8 05:38:27 UTC 2012

Since Jonathan and Patrick have already covered most of the points, I'd
just like to add one more detail:

On 04/07/2012 07:11 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> So, why is Rakudo so dependent on one specific month release of Parrot?
> Parrot isn't moving so fast that the APIs are all changing every month.
(...)
> Rakudo should be able to run on any Parrot release within the past year
> (at least).

That's simply not how it works in real life. I don't know if the
deprecation policy has been abandoned officially, but the current trend
of thought seems to be that breaking changes to parrot are OK as long as
downstream projects (mostly NQP, Rakudo) receive patches that update them.

That's OK for us Rakudo developers too, because we get the benefits from
parrot changes earlier.

There have been a few months with no breaking changes in parrot that
would have required a version bump, but to be frank that was mostly due
to little activity in parrot's main branch (though often progress
happened in other branches, or in other projects like winxed and rosella).

Cheers,
Moritz