sound distribution practices

Alessandro Ghedini al3xbio at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:01:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:46:18AM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 04/08/2012 09:29 AM, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> >
> > If we go down the "split to different libraries" path, those libraries should
> > depend on parrotapi-* too so that not only Parrot isn't updated but the
> > libraries aren't too. Or alternatively parrot should strictly depend on them.
>
> Makes sense for the libraries that move to separate source packages.
> But, would it be necessary for libraries in binary packages built from
> the parrot source package?

The parrotapi-* thing would avoid an update of the parrot package, but there's
nothing that would avoid an update of, say, libdata-dumper-parrot, and it would
leave the system with an older version of parrot and a newer version of the
bytecode library, which, as Patrick pointed out, are not compatible. If the
library depends on parrotapi-* too, it is not updated until every other
parrotapi-* reverse dependencies are ready to be updated.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'