sound distribution practices

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 8 17:46:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 07:32:55PM +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:15:44PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I'm not quite able to follow here -- could you explain further or give
> > an example?  I mean, I understand how changes to NQP can affect
> > Rakudo, but I don't understand why/how it affects Parrot.
>
> Well, I was talking about Rakudo Star. If I have a rakudo-star source package,
> which includes the sources and builds packages for NQP, Rakudo and Parrot, then
> if I need to do a change to the NQP packaging (which doesn't involve upstream
> sources updates) I'd also have to reupload the whole source package, which in
> turn means that not only NQP, but also Rakudo and Parrot would be rebuilt too.

Ah, I didn't realize you were referring to Rakudo Star, that's the likely
point of confusion.

I fully agree that Rakudo Star is not at all Debian-packager-friendly as
it exists now.  We still have some work to do on figuring out how to
bundle/package Perl 6 modules and handle dependencies there -- Star has just
been our first forays into a full "Perl 6 distribution".  It's always been
the plan and expectation that other Rakudo Perl 6 distribution and bundling
systems will arise.

Pm